I was in that boat a couple of days back and was wondering what was causing this issue since I had been using groovy for the past few months without any issues.
What I was doing was trying to run a groovy script at the home directory of a new server. I was using groovy 1.7.0 version and kept on getting the above error irrespective of the script that I ran! I was trying to run it from command line from my home directory on an unix server using
~/software/groovy-1.7.0/bin/groovy <groovy-script name.groovy>On exploring a bit,I was able to see that the "NoSuchMethodError" error had popped in from the antlr library. So, I went into the \lib directory within the groovy folder and looked into the antlr library that was present.
I noticed that there were 2 antlr libraries that were present. They were
antlr-2.7.7.jar and antlr.jar. I was of the opinion that the groovy program would have got confused with the existence of 2 different instances of all classes within the 2 different antlr library present within the groovy folder. Hence, I deleted the antlr.jar and retained the antlr-2.7.7.jar and tried running the script.
The scripts started to run without any issues thereafter!